Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Crossroads

I feel like I'm at a crossroads with my running.  I accomplished my dream of running a marathon last month, and since then things have continued to change.  I set out to run another marathon in April, before realizing Mathis and I didn't have the time/energy to run another full-marathon so soon.  Then I became determined to work on speed and aim for the goal of running a 2-hour half-marathon.  After setting this goal, I went on vacation, got sick and went without running for 10 days. 


So here I am now.  Still signed up for a half-marathon in March and another one in April.  No longer do I feel prepared/motivated enough to aim for a 2-hour goal, and I don't know where to go from here.  I ran 2 miles last night and it was tough -- I know I'm still coming off my cold, but it was frustrating.  I don't have much energy or motivation to run right now.  I think once I pick back up again I'll feel fine, but I don't even know which training plan I should follow right now. 

Running is still important to me, but I'm in a season where it's no longer the priority in my life.  And I'm struggling to figure out how to run without making it one of my biggest priorities.  I think I'm honestly leaning towards just running for fun.  When I want to.  How I want to.  Just running.  Simple as that.  No constant eye on my Garmin to figure out my pace.  No guilt over my speed.  No pressure on running a certain distance.

I follow Hal Higdon on twitter, and yesterday he said, "Don't make running such a big deal. It's something we do an hour a day so should not let it get in the way of our real lives".  I think this tweet perfectly sums up my thoughts right now.

It's hard for me to let go of having everything planned out a certain way.  I can be very Type A, and I like to know what I'm doing pretty much all of the time. :)  But I think right now is a really great time for me to back off of running.  I still love running very much and I'm not going to stop by any means, but I think I need to let go of all the pressure I've built up.  I am signed up for three very fun races right now.  Races that I intend to run well, but races I want to have fun at.  While I hope to eventually work on speed, I'm not sure this is the best season for that.  I don't know what the next year will hold with running.  But as long as I'm happy and running injury-free then I think I will have succeeded.

Miles: 2.5
Time: 30 minutes

Miles this Week: 2.5
Miles this Month: 2.5

1 comment:

  1. nicki, i totally understand what you are feeling right now. i am in the same boat for different reasons. i want to get back out running more, but balancing pregnancy and daisy makes it tough. i have to remind myself that while it is a priority in my life, it is not my biggest priority (or even close at this point). as the weather warms, i'd love to go for some casual runs!!! maybe speed can be the goal in 2012? :)

    ReplyDelete