Saturday, December 11, 2010

Jingle Bell 5K


This morning Mathis and I woke up early to head down to Roanoke for the Jingle Bell 5k!!  This is the first race that I ran in last year when I began my journey towards running.  Here's a comparison of pictures from last year and earlier today...

It was really exciting to think about how far I've come in this last year, and the growth that I've experienced as a runner.  The fact that I'm only 25 days away from my first marathon is terrifying and thrilling all at the same time! :) 

I have to admit that within the last few weeks I haven't had much made the time to run.  The ridiculously cold weather we've had hasn't made it any easier.  But today while I was running I remembered all the things I love so much about running.  I love that it's a challenge, and believe me when I say that running is most certainly a challenge for me both physically and mentally.  It hasn't gotten any easier, but I do think it's made me stronger.  I've made a lot of friends while running.  Hannah is definitely one, and she ran the 5k with me this morning...


Running has made me so much healthier this year.  I love that it's a lifelong sport for me -- something I can continue to improve upon and do virtually anytime, anywhere.  It's taught me a lot about hard work and about pushing myself to do better, to be better.  The feeling of accomplishment I get when I run fast or run long is amazing.  I love what it does for Mathis and I, and that we can share in the experience together.

So here's to the past year of running.... what a great year it has been!  And on to the next year... I can't wait to see what running has in store for me. :)

"Running has taken me in, and continues to comfort, heal and challenge me in all kinds of magical ways. I am not a 'good runner' because I am me. I am a good 'me' because I am a runner". -- Kristin Armstrong

Miles: 3.1
Time: not a PR, but very close... somewhere around 29 minutes, 20 seconds

Miles this Week: 8
Miles this Month: 17

1 comment:

  1. Rock on!! Christmas runs are so fun ~ it is the only time I feel really comfy wearing striped socks and a santa hat.. Though they are cute all year round. :)

    Very cute pix!!

    ReplyDelete