Monday, January 17, 2011

So... Now What?

It's an amazing feeling to accomplish your dreams.  But my dream of running a marathon has only just begun.  I knew that when I started to run I wanted running to be a lifelong sport for me.  I wanted to challenge myself every year to become a better runner and an overall healthier person.


I am so humbled and proud to have run a marathon, but I still have a long way to go in becoming a better runner.  Right now my sights are set on the Blue Ridge Marathon on April 16th.  I signed up for this race months ago because I had the opportunity to get a free entry.  Looking back I'm so glad I signed up then, because I might not have the guts to sign up right now.  I'll be completely honest when I say that running another marathon makes me VERY nervous!!!  The marathon distance was really tough for me.  But at the same time, I did finish it.  So I must be at some level of running, and I really don't want that level to drop.  Just like the marathon was tough, so was my first 5K.  I want to push myself to dream big, and believe me when I say that the Blue Ridge Marathon is big.  It's got CRAZY elevations and claims to be the toughest road race in the nation.  But I really believe I can do it.  It might take me the full 8 hours to finish it, but I really want to give it my best shot!

I learned a lot from my first marathon training, and I think I will train smarter this time around.  I started today by doing a tempo run.  I am still following the same plan by Hal Higdon this go around, but I'm going to make Mondays tempo runs and make Thursdays all about the hills.  Mathis and I will also try to do some long runs down in Roanoke on the Blue Ridge Parkway to get ourselves ready for the race.  I'm also going to actually cross train this time around instead of just ignoring that day.  I am excited to train and I don't really feel burnt out right now.  Taking a week off after the marathon was a great thing, but I feel so happy to be back to running.

My tempo run went GREAT today!  I really haven't done this before, and I'm excited about it.  I chose a relatively flat area in my neighborhood and punched out 3 miles in under 30 minutes!  I had started to get really lazy in my running and had stagnated in my pace.  I think the tempo runs will help me pick it up a bit.  Before Blue Ridge, we're running the Shamrock Half-Marathon and I'd like to PR here.

So here we go!  I have 13 weeks to prepare myself for running another 26.2 miles.  Am I completely nuts?! :)

Miles: 3
Time: 29 minutes, 12 seconds

Miles this Week: 3
Miles this Month: 32

No comments:

Post a Comment