Saturday, July 24, 2010

Speedy Sweaty Saturday Seven

This morning I planned on meeting Sarah at the Huckleberry for a long run.  Mathis decided to join in, because we haven't logged many miles recently.  (We did a lot of traveling and eating the past few days -- see here and here and here!)  Once we were up I got a text message from Sarah saying that she needed the extra sleep.  Sometimes you have to listen to your body and know when rest is needed.  I'm glad she felt she could get the extra sleep.

Since Mathis and I were up we decided to press on!  We were on the trail by 7:30, and the sun was already bringing the heat.  Fortunately it was still a little "cool" and most of the Huckleberry is shaded.  I was really surprised by how great I felt today.  I thought I'd stick to an 11:30 or 12:00 minute pace, but I quickly set into a 10:00 minute groove.  It felt REALLY good.  I think that the hills in the neighborhood really help me get fast when it's flat.  Plus I was listening to my music instead of talking and that always allows me to push it a little faster.  We decided on running seven miles, because it seemed longer, but still really manageable.  When we hit 3.5 I was really feeling the heat.  We stopped to stretch and continued on.  I was still able to keep a decent pace, but I did find myself slowing down.  Especially at mile 6.  By then I was D.O.N.E.  I walked a little bit, and finally pushed it to the end.  I'm not going to lie... I had to immediately sit down and just breathe at the "finish line".  Mathis was drenched from all the sweat.

I checked my phone at our finish, and it was already 79 degrees and 85% humidity.  I know that doesn't seem so bad, but for 8:45 int he morning it's pretty dang warm!  Our high here today is 97 degrees, which is warmer than Texas today.  Bleh... I'm so over this heat, Virginia!!!!  But I'm so happy to have had such a great run despite the heat.  Everything just seemed to really click this morning, and it's days like today that make running so great.

Miles: 7
Time: 1 hour, 13 minutes

Miles this Week: 11
Miles this Month: 47

1 comment:

  1. Hannah and I ran the Crusin' Christiansburg 5K Saturday morning and the bank in downtown C'burg said it was 83 degrees when we started the race at 8:30... So it was definitely a hot one... I feel ya... Way to stick it out and finish your run even if you were dragging at the end! This heat is a doozie...I've been in Blacksburg for 10 summers now, and I cannot remember another one like this.

    ReplyDelete