Saturday, July 9, 2011

Twelve

This weekend was technically a "taper" weekend for me, but I decided to taper next week while in the hottest place on earth Texas.  It will fit my schedule better to do some shorter runs next week, so today I took on 12 miles for my long run today.  Mathis and I woke up at 6:00am, and we met up with Evan and Chris by 6:30am at the Huckleberry Trail.  The sun was already up, but it was a GLORIOUS 65 degrees outside.  High humidity, but SIXTY-FIVE degrees, y'all.

We started off, and the first few miles I was NOT feeling it.  This is typical for me, but it was still somewhat disheartening.  Right after mile 2 I had another woman start run up behind me and ask how far I was going.  We chatted and ran together for the next two and a half miles.  I was worried that I was holding her back some, but we seemed to find a good, mutual pace.  It was so nice running with another woman again!  Mathis is a great buddy, but he doesn't talk much.  I chatted with this new girl for quite awhile before she decided to turn back.  I'm hoping to start running some with her, since most of my GYRO buddies are pregnant. :)

Another few miles and I had run the entire trail.  You can get about 6 miles from running the entire length, so it was the perfect place to turn around.  I took a GU, drank some water and Mathis and I headed back for the long haul.  I walked a couple of times, but overall I'm really pleased with my pace.  It was so much better to run earlier in the morning.  Today we finished at the time we had started running on Monday.

I feel so great for having done the distance.  I'm going to admit that I have my eye on another marathon, but I'm hesitant to fully commit just yet.  I'm still not sure if I'll be able to keep up the mileage, but I'm going to go ahead and give it my best shot.  I would really love to be able to run another marathon this year, but we'll see how it goes.  I had such a great run today, and I'm so grateful to have possibly met a new running partner.  Have a great weekend!!

Miles: 12
Time: 2 hours, 12 minutes

Miles this Week: 30
Miles this Month: 30

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Nicki. Nice to meet you! I've run the Huckleberry many times - I love how calm it is back in there for long quiet stretches. I did 10 this morning around home. It was humid, but at least I got started at 6:15 am before it got too hot.

    I'm toying w/ the idea of a fall marathon, but since I've been injured I'm nervous about it. Still, I hate to go a year without a marathon. Lots to think about!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - come by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the 12 miles this morning! That's great! My training for my fall marathon (first one) starts next week and I am really nervous about the mileage too, but I'll give it my best shot :). We are doing Richmond... I've heard it's great if you're considering it!

    ReplyDelete