Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Slow and Steady

I am not a fast runner.  But I am a runner.  And I am so proud to be able to call myself a runner.  A few years ago, I hated running.  There were times in college I doubted I'd ever have the ability to run even just a few miles.  I was amazed at the handful of times I ran the Beartrail (2.25 miles), and when I ran my first 5K.

Over the past few months, I've become enamored with running.  I think about running multiple times throughout the day, I spend hours each week pouring over various running blogs, and I jump for joy when I see my Runner's World magazine in the mailbox.  I plan my days around getting my training done, and I'm signed up for (at least) two big races in the next 12 months.  I am a runner.  :)

Today I ran at the rec center, because we have seen gusts of wind up to 60 mph today.  As I ran on the track, I grew slightly frustrated because other runners kept passing me up.  I know my pace is slow, but I'm a beginner and it should be slow.  However, even though my mind knows this, my pride gets in the way.  I start comparing myself to others, and whenever this happens I'll always fall short.  I had to remind myself that I'm running for me, and not for anyone else.  And the exciting thing was that most of these runners came and left before I finished.  So while they were fast, their runs were short.  I ran for a total of 50 minutes, and I was proud of that.  I've come such a long way from beginning my running journey, and I have lots more to look forward to!

I read this on another runner's blog, and I love it!!  I can relate to so much of what it says.  Hope it encourages you as much as it encourages me.  Run on!! :)

running has changed my life for the better.  it has given me something to always strive for and to look forward to.  it has taught me that i can do anything i set my mind to, and that i am tougher than i thought i was.  it has introduced me to some of my very best friends.  it keeps me sane, focused, dedicated and happy.  it has made me stronger, both physically and emotionally.  it has taught me that hard work pays off, but the things worth working for don’t come easily. 

Miles: 4.5?
Time: 50 minutes

Miles this Week: 12
Miles this Month:  16.5

1 comment:

  1. I totally know how you feel about having to accept that people might pass you. I was running myself crazy when I first started, until one of my readers pointed out that I was possibly training outside of my ability. It was hard to hear (well, read...smile) but it was true. I started running for me and had to remind myself to stay focused on that goal. It made all the difference in the world to me and my body feels so much better now.

    Anyway, great blog. I love your goals. Good luck and can't wait to read more!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete